Sunday School at First Baptist Church is the front door to our church. Sunday School meets every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. We have a class for all ages.
Weekly Teachers and Directors Meeting 5:45 p.m. Wednesday in Adult 6
LifeWay Sunday School Director David Francis has included a combination of elements as the basics of Sunday School.
What is basic to your Sunday School? Recently, some seminary students responded to the same challenge. Their conclusions included: build relationships, present the gospel, love the people, organize, assimilate people into the church, teach, develop leaders, and worship.
Every Sunday School leadership team must cover the basics. Without a firm grasp of the minimum standard, you cannot dream beyond the basics. Here is a way to get started.
Make a list of each task in your basic Sunday School work. Under each task (category) identify criteria that you consider basic. Then suggest additional criteria that might represent the next step for moving your Sunday School beyond the basics. Consider the following example for an adult class:
• Send one card or make one phone call to a prospect each week.
• Enlist and equip an outreach leader.
• Make a prospect visit each month.
• Attend weekly visitation.
• Attend 75 percent of workers meetings.
• Arrive 10 minutes early each week.
• Devote 25 percent of class time to application.
• Attend an additional training session or read an assigned book this year.
• Attend one witness training event per year.
• Present the gospel in class at least once per quarter.
• Make two evangelistic visits this year.
• Participate in FAITH Training.
• Organize some form of care ministry in the class.
• Contact care leaders each week in order to be informed about members’ needs.
• Be involved in one ministry opportunity each quarter.
• Visit with (at home, at lunch, etc.) each class member personally this year.
• Lead the class to plan four fellowship building events this year.
• Build accountability teams with members.